Grandparents are well known for spoiling their grandchildren. Yet when it comes time for giving back to them at the holidays, it can be difficult to find gifts that are both affordable and meaningful. So, what do you get for the grandparents who may seem to have everything they need? Here are ten fun and creative holiday gift ideas for the grandparents in your life.
- Personalized gifts. Grandparents have a penchant for showing off their grandchildren so why not get them a gift that’s personalized with their favorite little one’s face? There are so many items that can be personalized such as coffee mugs, picture frames, mouse pads, calendars, holiday ornaments, key rings, puzzles, money clips, etc. Check out Walgreens.com, Snapfish.com, Shutterfly.com and PersonalizedCreations.com for some great ideas. Each of these companies offers holiday sales and coupon codes.
- Letters to my Grandchild Journal. While your children may be too young to appreciate the meaning of this gift now, a personalized grandparents’ journal is something they will cherish as they get older. Grandparents can record their life stories, share favorite memories, moments, and words of wisdom with their grandchildren in this journal. Another great idea is the Letters to My Grandchild paper time capsule. Included are twelve prompted letters for grandparents to complete. They can then seal the letters with the included stickers and post date the letters for a future opening. The letters will be priceless and cherished heirlooms for many generations.
- Do-it-yourself gifts are always fun and meaningful. For example, you can decorate a hand towel, potholder, apron, etc. using your child’s hand and/or footprints. Another great idea is a personalized garden stepping stone made uniquely by your children. Follow this link for 25 more D-I-Y ideas and create a handmade gift that will be treasured for years.
- Your family heritage is important and should be documented for generations to come. Custom family tree art is a great way to document your family’s heritage while also giving you a piece of artwork that you can hang in your home. Here’s another design from Etsy.com.
- Don’t let important family memories fade away. Instead, gather them all together (tapes, films, photos, audio, etc.) and digitize them into new, ready-to-watch DVDs and digital files with a Legacy Box.
- Tickets to events are one of the best gifts for grandparents because it’s something they can do together or with their children/grandchildren to create an experience and memory. Consider tickets to concerts, sporting events, or an annual membership to a local zoo, aquarium or museum.
- Do your kids love watching movies with grandma and grandpa? A subscription to NetFlix is a great gift idea for grandma and grandpa. Be sure to give them guidance on how to access their account and watch movies.
- A Kindle is a wonderful gift for grandparents. Kindles are light, easy to adjust and easy to understand. You can even preload a Kindle with a variety of books.
- Gift baskets or edible arrangements. A themed gift basket that you and your children create for grandma and grandpa is a great holiday gift idea. Some ideas include sports, movie night and popcorn, coffee/tea, summertime fun, golf, BBQ/grilling, baking, pets, Italian dinner night, gardening, etc. Another idea is a fruit arrangement from Edible Arrangements. They are “artfully arranged and delightfully delicious”.
- Keeping in touch with grandkids via email, Facebook, Twitter, etc. can be difficult for grandparents who don’t understand the technology. A book or class about computers and the Internet would be a great and practical gift. Check out the book, Internet for Seniors in Easy Steps – For the Over 50’s.
Whether you decide on a store bought or handmade gift for the grandparents in your life, it’s important to remember that the focus of holiday giving should be on the sentiment not the value of the gift you’re giving. Choose an affordable and meaningful gift and show the grandparents in your and your children’s life how much you appreciate everything they do for you.
Click here to learn more about FamilyMint and our award-winning money management program for kids.